Monday, April 13, 2015

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never ... I hope Flower Lady agrees.

Back in January I participated in Vicki's, from Two Bags Full,  Grow Your Blog Party.  Many participants offered a prize for visiting and leaving a comment. At my post I chose to do this also. I love the idea of creating a gift for someone I do not know. There's a peace in creating something for someone just out of love for your craft and the love of spreading joy.

 Lorraine from Flower Lady's Musings was my winner. I've been following Lorraine's blog for a while, and I was so happy she was my winner.

I won this adorable handmade pillow from Jessica from Blessings in the Country.


                      


I had already decided what I was going to make for Lorraine. I had joyfully browsed through books for inspiration. I had sketched my design. I had made the fabric for the front of the pillow. Then I got the flu. Ugh! Sitting at my worktable needle felting and sewing was something I did not have the strength to do. For now ...

BUT, after drinking lots of fluids and getting plenty of rest I got better, and I was able to return to creating my special project for Lorraine. I am always in awe of how God created our bodies with the ability to heal themselves.


This photo is of my sketch. Drawing is not one of my gifts so I use cookie cutters and stencils to help me with my sketching.


This is the fabric that I made. First, I knit it on my knitting machine, then I threw it in the washing machine to felt. I used Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool to create my fabric. This yarn creates a felt that is soft to the touch and so wonderful to work with.


Next, I needle felted my design onto the felt. I used cookie cutters to help me with my design. They also protect my fingers from the sharp felting needles.




I added some embellishments. This is my favorite part! I love to embellish things! 
I apologize for the poor photo. The sunlight streaming in the window makes the right side look a bit tan colored. The whole backing is ivory. Photography is a skill that I want to improve. 
                                


I then sewed on the fabric for the back of the pillow and stuffed the pillow with fiberfill.


                               

I hope Flower Lady likes it. 



4 comments:

  1. What a delightful creation Terry! so soft and colourful. a treasure. happy new week to you and the lucky winner flower lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I * L O V E* it. Just looking at it makes me smile. I purposely didn't read this post until after I received your wonderful gift. Now that I've read how you made it, I am truly amazed and blessed. It sounds like quite the process.

    Thank you again dear Terry ~ It means a lot to me ~ FlowerLady

    P.S. Dear Husband would like this. He always loved it when I won something. He would say that this pillow is 'so me'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute giveaway.

    I participated in the Grow Your Blog the last two years, but with my wrist surgery, I couldn't do it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet pillow you made Lorraine!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete